Mair wanted to have the stablisers taken off her bike.As she's now five this seemed the right timing.Given the summer holidays to practice her skills we went along with this.All went well untill she realised the implications of her decision- a very wobbly bike that she could no longer control or ride with confidence. All of a sudden she wanted things back as they were. We coaxed her and with time she had a go.
She's just checking to see I am here to catch her!
And off we go!
The sense of achievement etched on her little face!
There's no stopping her now.She has gainded confidence and despite a few tumbles rides up and down the garden like an old pro!
I remember vividly learning to ride as well.Mainly because I fell off head first and scraped my chin badly! I was five as well.My mother and father applauded my efforts.It must have been strange for them, as neither owned a bike as a child, and my mother never learnt to ride one, ever.
Having children, and guiding them through life is very similar to learning to ride, for both parties concerned!
It takes confidence to take those first steps, and when something goes wrong that confidence is then knocked, and somehow we need to find the courage to do it again.
There are so many times, I have not been as brave as Mair was today.I have given up, sometimes for years. Maths GCSE being a prime example!!
I hope I can always be there for my children, maybe not as physically as I was today when Mair checked to see me there, but so they know I am always ready to catch them when they fall, and support them to have confidence to try again.
No comments:
Post a Comment