Friday, 13 April 2012

I should have known........

never to trust Martha's party descriptions.............
True to form, she caught me off guard when Simon was away and I was busy.
'Charlotte's having a Party"
Um right.....as I feed the twins.
'Can I go?'
'Er I guess, when ?"
'Wednesday'
'But that's when we pick up Dad from the airport'.
'Oh it's not till later'
'Where does she live'
'Denbigh'
'I guess we can drop you off on the way back'.
And so it was left, in my mind over taken by the several thousand other things I had to think about.
Wednesday came. I had forgotten Bella's dental appointment so we were late leaving after this anyway.
As we were packing up Martha drops into the conversation
'er  Charlotte lives in Ruthin'
'R-U-T-H-I-N!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
'Do you realise how much farer that is?"
Clearly she did not, nor did she see it was infact her problem or anything to do with her.
Had I been less tired and sharper, and not virtually on the doorstep packing up everyone in the car I would have thought of plan B, or plan C, D or even E.
Foolishly I did not.
Instead I groaned and said 'okay'.
Okay meant that after we got to Ikea, downed 10 meatballs and chips. Chased around collecting the stuff we needed as well as being stared at by most of the customers (demented mother, 9 children, 3 trolleys, two babies screaming etc), got stuck in the world's longest traffic jam to the airport, missed dad's arrival by an hour, lost him totally in the airport for 40 mins, driven within 15 mins of home, and then had to take a 45min de tour to Ruthin, and back, we came home at 9.30pm instead of 8pm.
To say everyone was fed up would be the understatement of the century.
Dad was less than happy and made it abundantly clear he thought I was stupid agreeing to her!
The babies had screamed most of the way home so I was under no illusion how they felt.
The other kids were more gracious.
I am sure my 'payback' is awaiting me.
Note to self: never EVER trust Martha's party arrangements again.
Always get the child's phone number and check and double check this out first.
Do not agree to anything until its checked.
This has now happened too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment