It's the school holidays.
You can tell by the increasing comments and mess in my house.
Things get broken faster.
Things get lost quicker.
Things get left around in abundance.
When I was a child this was impossible to escape from.
There were two of us in the house, my mother and me. She was pedantically tidy, so that left me, there was no escape and no way I could blame shift (although as a three year old I had an imaginary friend called Nona who was the naughty one!).
These are the common phrases I hear.
'I didn't do it'. This is often when something is broken. It's so easy in my family, not too tell the truth because there are so many people they can hide behind. We try so hard to instil honesty, some are great and own up, some do at times depending on the severity of the crime, others will only admit to this if threatened with every punishment i can think of!
'The Magic Fairy'. She's the mystery person who every night, very very late, goes around the house, picks up mugs, papers, plates, and an assortment of crap and lays it away and washed it, i.e. me! My children appear in the holidays to think they can just bung things in the sink and by some miracle it will be washed- this is a training work in progress.
'The Crystal ball'. This concept is both common at work , with the kids I teach, who seem to think I can tell by there handwriting alone who has composed one of the 30 pieces of homework handed in without a name! At home, it is the fact my children think I clearly have a 6th sense that tells me exactly what they have run out of and what I need to buy from the shops without them writing it down or texting me! Better still is the teenage tendency to place empty packets back in the cupboards because it is infinitely easier to do so than to walk to a bin! Cereals and sanitary towel packs are the two most common of these!
Children are just that, children. When they are teenagers they appear to loose monetary a lot of what was instilled into them.Thankfully , as I know it does return, it's just a work in progress and the summer holidays increase this a hundred fold!
You can tell by the increasing comments and mess in my house.
Things get broken faster.
Things get lost quicker.
Things get left around in abundance.
When I was a child this was impossible to escape from.
There were two of us in the house, my mother and me. She was pedantically tidy, so that left me, there was no escape and no way I could blame shift (although as a three year old I had an imaginary friend called Nona who was the naughty one!).
These are the common phrases I hear.
'I didn't do it'. This is often when something is broken. It's so easy in my family, not too tell the truth because there are so many people they can hide behind. We try so hard to instil honesty, some are great and own up, some do at times depending on the severity of the crime, others will only admit to this if threatened with every punishment i can think of!
'The Magic Fairy'. She's the mystery person who every night, very very late, goes around the house, picks up mugs, papers, plates, and an assortment of crap and lays it away and washed it, i.e. me! My children appear in the holidays to think they can just bung things in the sink and by some miracle it will be washed- this is a training work in progress.
'The Crystal ball'. This concept is both common at work , with the kids I teach, who seem to think I can tell by there handwriting alone who has composed one of the 30 pieces of homework handed in without a name! At home, it is the fact my children think I clearly have a 6th sense that tells me exactly what they have run out of and what I need to buy from the shops without them writing it down or texting me! Better still is the teenage tendency to place empty packets back in the cupboards because it is infinitely easier to do so than to walk to a bin! Cereals and sanitary towel packs are the two most common of these!
Children are just that, children. When they are teenagers they appear to loose monetary a lot of what was instilled into them.Thankfully , as I know it does return, it's just a work in progress and the summer holidays increase this a hundred fold!
No comments:
Post a Comment