Monday, 12 November 2012

When having twins is TOTALLY exhausting.....

We are no on day 9 of roughly three hours sleep.
It's our own fault. They were settling into a routine. Caleb slept through the night, Anya always woke between 1-2.30am. They have not been easy sleepers and so we were down on hours anyway.
Then we went away.
They were great but their routines were totally disturbed.
This hasn't had any effect on them in other holidays, but for some reason this time it has.
They have systematically destroyed the house on a daily basis, working as a tiny 19 month hurricane throughout, you cannot take your eyes off them for a second, and I mean a second.
At night they settle, then they wake.
Piercing, ear bending screams.
The have woken up just about everyone else as well.
Anya eventually listens to reason (well, the tired, strong voiced reason!) and gives up.
Caleb has not.
The only way he will sleep is on me.
This is not conjusive to rest.
We have now set up the travel cot downstairs and I have settled him there, out of ear shot of the others at least and hopefully letting Simon have a little more rest. I have sat downstairs untill his crying subsides. He really seems to be suffering separtion anxiety, however I am sensing a little stuborn, strong willed personality in there as well!
It has been increasingly hard to do anything of any value after we have settled the younger children. I have managed to plan and mark my students work, but that's about it. My book, sewing , diet, excercise plan and master's work, have sadly been shelved whislt survival is most important.
Daily life has become a large yawn.
I usually cope really well with sleep deprivation but this has even hit me hard.
I hope and pray they settle down soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment