Tuesday, 4 December 2012

So this is Christmas...part three - how we celebrate


Christmas Eve is spent frantically taking everything we can outside to make room for the presents and to get out the table. As I run and charity from home, as well as keep all my lecturing work at home this involves quite an upheaval. Then we clean and tidy, help Dad prepare things and usually go to church for the carol service. This year because of illness we were running behind so Susie took Mair to the service and I followed at the end part.
Everyone comes for the evening meal, our Christmas dinner. We give the babies a late sleep so they are awake and not winging. This year we broke with tradition and just had chicken as we all concluded we prefer it to turkey!


Afterwards the children give each other the presents they have brought. Some of the children club together to get larger items and to make their money stretch further. After this is done they can choose a couple of presents from mum and dad too open before a late bedtime.


 Once everyone is eventually in bed Simon and me sit and do the stockings and take these around the house. Usually people sleep in till around 9am and then open their stockings so it gives us a nice leisurely start to the day (I do not do early mornings)


The elder children come around 10 am and we all open the presents then, have breakfast/lunch/brunch and play with these. When the babies are asleep we have more buffet food, and watch a film or play a game.


Later on when the babies wake, we all go to the hospital to light candles and to remember Joshua and all my friends babies as well. Some of my friends live miles away and cannot get to memorial services or do the things we can so I hope this helps them too.


This year, Sharon was in the hospital with baby Mia, so came down to join us as well. Joshua will always be part of our family on Christmas Day.


On Boxing Day I go to Llandudno to support those who bravely jump into the sea to support my charity, this year I was! Along with Jono, Martha, Luke and Miriam. We tried to smile! My friend Paula and Nina were also doing it as well.


As you can see we all survived and then went home to warm up and watch a lovely film for the rest of the afternoon.
During the Christmas break we also visit the panto and love to go each year.
We try to take the children to do some more unusual things and hope this year to take them ice skating next week.
On New Years Eve we all go bowling and then to Pizza Hut, defiantly a once a year treat that everyone looks forward too. As the children get older some go to parties, others come back and join us, it is always a movable feast that involves me in a taxi run at silly o'clock!
I love all our traditions and the way we celebrate and I would not have it any other way.
I hope you have all enjoyed your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment