Thursday, 21 June 2012

Having a Wedding with a large Family (or how to juggle twins)

Six, of my seven beautiful daughter's.
This is the first in my 'Wedding' instalments.
Up until this last weekend I was, a wedding novice. Apart from planning and paying for almost all of ours, we had, had little experience since.
Susie and Anya
We have known Abigail was getting married for 17 months now, which actually was 4 months before Abie herself knew! My mum knew too, but sadly she died before she could share the joy of seeing Abigail engaged or any of the run up , preparations and the wedding itself, all of which she would have loved.
The last few months have been filled with plans, the last few weeks have been TOTALLY dominated by getting ready for the wedding itself, so much so , that we were actually looking forward to it being over.
It was HARD work.
It was harder because not only do we have a large family, we had a dance show two weeks before that three of the girls were in, as well as three children sitting public exams throughout the whole process.
It was even harder because we have 15 month old twins, who seem to relish still waking us several times a night.
Anya and me having the 'offical' photos taken.
Of course, this is all our choice, and I am not moaning, rather explaining the complications.
It was hard to juggle jobs, children and wedding plans. I have to admit that with the best will in the world there were a few weekends the children were left to their own devices. This usually entailed being set up with activities, toys and DVD's whilst we worked around them.
Then the army of 'stuff' started to arrive. The twins enjoyed eating the oasis!, raiding flowers, pulling sewing off the machine and generally corrupting whatever was possible. Large family = little room anywhere and certainly no room for lots of boxes, in the end all that could be moved outside was! Sanity was temporarily restored!
Anya and Cassie (Maid of honour)
Towards the end week the older children and my husband must have felt like they were running a creche, as I was just not to be seen. I in turn felt completely pulled in a million directions. Whatever one I took I felt guilty.
Mair protecting her "neice' Ella.
I went out to Chester with Abie to have my make up done with her and have lunch. I had originally planned to take her away for a weekend quietly, just the two of us, but we actually could not find a weekend free for weeks, then she lost her passport too! We had a lovely time, and it was great to have some 'time out' together, but you are aware than for having this, several others were having to hold the fort. Guilt.
We have seven girls, Glann has three sisters, it bound to equal many bridesmaids!!!!
The children, it is fair to say, have been a fantastic help. I am quite sure pay back time maybe waiting.....
Luke passed me as I was painting my millionth butterfly (well not actually but it felt like it) and commented ' I hope you are going to spend this much time and effort on all our weddings too'. Oh dear, I have rather set a president now haven't it?
Susie and Mair (who wasn't enjoying wet ballet pumps)
I am rather famed for saying silly things like 'don't worry we can do it/ make it'.
Needless to say, sleep and me did not see much of each other for a couple of weeks.
On the day, it was tough organising everyone.
Out of everything, I worried most about getting us all out the door and to Abie's for 10 am!
We were up EARLY! and amazingly ready too.
Staying the night anywhere with a large family involves as much preparation and packing as a holiday. We looked like we were moving into the hotel for a week, not just one night.
Mummy and Caleb- and he didn't even try to pull my hair out!!!
We, sadly do not have many relatives and those we do have live hundreds of miles away. Therefore looking after the twins on the day, largely fell to Simon and I. Because of this we did miss out on quite a few things, and more importantly the first dance in the evening, and many of our friends who had started to make their way home by the time we got there.
Three of my four handsome boys!
I was more happy to accept this, I know Simon has found it harder, I think because he missed quite a bit earlier setting up things for all the speeches as well.
By and large though we managed it.
We pulled off, with the help of many, a lovely wedding for our daughter.
One we are all very proud of.
It was an amazing day.
More amazingly, I cannot wait for the next child to announce their engagement so I can start all over again.
Daddy and Caleb
I loved being so much a part of my daughter and her new husbands day. I loved all the making, and the organising. I loved my children all getting so excited and so into the wedding.
Jono ' It was EVEN BETTER than going to the skater park with my friends".
I loved seeing so many old friends and relatives who we have not seen for years, and more amazingly I loved dressing up!
Susie and Anya (the hairband stayed on for about half an hour)
Weddings are amazing. Yes they are very expensive, and with a larger than average family budgeting for them is a necessity. We are starting to save all over again! but they are so worth everything.
I feel very blessed to have my large family, despite all the complications it involved, I cannot wait for the next one to come along!

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you all had a wonderful time, well doen for pulling off such a superb wedding. Mich x

    ReplyDelete