Thursday, 18 October 2012

The twins

Beach buddies

I love these two little guys so very much! I love my 'Twinnie Tuesdays' that we just chill and spend our days together. Wednesdays we go to Mum and Toddlers and Thursdays we got our somewhere. We leave nice and early when the children have all gone to school and get back usually for some sort of nap.

Captivated by Mair's bathtime.

These two are into everything, all the time, all day. Anya tends to instigate everything and Caleb follows her around the entire time. This is an exact repeat of Bella and Luke, 16 years ago! How weird is that! In fact so much of the twins personalities are so very similar to the first set of twins we had. The eldest twins love to play with them and watch them.They often ask if they were like that.

In the garden

No matter how many children I have, not how close their age gaps, there is something truly unique about having twins, and I have been so blessed to have them TWICE! The always have a little play mate and someone there. Although they have to learn how to share their parents at a very early age, my eldest set of twins have been far easier and far more placid and less demanding than any of the other children.I am sure this is because, from an early age they learnt to wait and to know they could not have all of somebody's time. Even breastfeeding needs to be done together! No escape from that other little person!

Raiding the drawers

I must admit, I am enjoying having them so much and appreciate them so much more than I did the first time. I was very busy, we lived overseas, I had three little girls and by the time my first set of twins were 8 months old I was pregnant again, five children under 6 years old. Although we spent every moment with them, the sheer business of life made me feel I had not fully enjoyed the time I had with them. This time around I was determined, no matter what, to never feel this. It hasn't been easy but it has been so worth it.

Sharing Anya's cot

If these two were my first, I maybe worried they were a little behind. Caleb refuses to walk at 19 months and can say two words! Anya walked at 17 months and can say far more. With Abigail we had everything around the house labelled and practiced everything with her. Miriam was quite bright and began to read at just three and half. 20 years on, so what? When we moved to Prague I taught children who had no formal education till 6 or 7. They could not recognise one single letter. Guess what? They all picked up reading between 3-6 months and over took many other kids who had been reading years. Because they were ready. Since then I have slowed down my approach to teaching my children. I would rather play with them and enjoy them these days.

Bedtime cuddles and fun.

My approach now goes with potty training. My first few were all trained between 18-20 months. Haha, now I just go with the flow. They have all got there and now with far less pain, tears and accidents by doing it in their time and not mine. Likewise, moving from cots to beds, bottles to cups, and the dreaded reading book scheme. It's so much easier now and so much fun when people ask at what stage they are, or try to boast about their own child's achievements and I just say that I really don't care.


These two are learning some very valuable socialisation skills. They always want what the other one has. There emotional development is developing well as at an early age they have to accept failure and disappointment more quickly than an single child has too. This is sometimes hard to watch, however I know this will help them in later life, if my older twins are anything to go by.

Chester Zoo

Being part of a large family they are taken out a lot with all the others, everywhere. The zoo and the beach are favourite places to go to, but over the course of this year they have been to the theatre, R.O.A's, fairs, sports days, seen about 10 countries and been admired in them all, taken here there and everywhere from birth and seen more than the average child has!


They are amazing little people, so very loved and wanted by all the family. They are never without someone to play with, give them attention and meet their every need.They are cuddled and hugged and loved every hour of the day and quite a bit of the night (unfortunately!)

The Greenwood Centre

When I told people I was again expecting twins at my age, most people looked horrified at the thought, mainly because, many of my friends had their last baby 15-20 years ago. For me it was not such a big deal, we had all the stuff and had a 4 year old as well. Funnily enough, quite a few people private mailed me to say how envious they were.Their older children were now at uni and they were suffering real empty nest syndrome. I cannot imagine how hard that must be, I find it hard enough that my older children are increasingly leaving home. It is a good thing for them, and they need to, but with each one that goes I am reminded of how fast the passage of times passes by, and so grateful for my 'little ones'.

Big bro dressed up for a fancy dress party!

They are so much fun, and they have so much fun! And I am having such a blast with them both.


My twins are gorgeous! I am unashamedly proud of them both and love them dearly. Yes, they are hard work and exhausting, but as we know the very best things in life are hard work! Sadly, I am aware they will be my last for many reasons so I intend to enjoy every moment I can, savouring it, soaking in every milestone, and grieving it as it passes for the last time.


No comments:

Post a Comment