Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Uni blog-September 2012




I have decided to log my journey through University here as well. As I am on a Master's Degree course, it's part time, so there's no point in writing each week.

I have only chosen to take two modules this year, until I see how well I manage, then I may sign up for the third one. My slight misgiving about doing three modules is mainly down to the fact I have to do a level 3 course at work this year if I want to keep my job!

It was a very strange feeling to walk back into the same University that I left 'cough' quite a few years ago. Thankfully its grown now and is on a different campus, so it wasn't quite the dejavu it could have been.

I was very anxious. What if everyone was super intelligent and all nodded and contributed and I just looked blank? Added to the fact I had a stinking cold and had to drive over 45 mins to make it for 9.30 am, on a Saturday!

I need not have worried. Everyone was very friendly and by no means did I struggle. I loved all the modules and enjoyed the lively discussions as well. It was very tiring and by the fourth seminar my mind was going blank, but it was good to challenge the old grey matter again.

My first module is called "Children and Communities' and during the first of two weekend sessions we looked at :


Introduction to the ecological systems
Constructing childhood.
The child and the family
Researching childhood.

It sounded quite complex but actually it wasn't-phew!
For some of the time we considered what is meant by:
  • Child
  • childhood
  • good parent.
We had to answer in one sentence. It was very hard because when you actually break it down our answers are very much based on culture, our own perceptions and social status, which is all very limiting. I am proud to say I actually got the answer for a 'good parent' spot on, i was very proud. After writing down many answers and crossing them all off for having some sort of bias I came up with the definitive 'unconditional love'. That seems to transcend all really!
Good parent -if we look at the governments idea they have tried to impose on us via 'parenting classes' is a bit of a worry. They had a report drawn up and concluded the following constituted good parenting:

Desforges and Abouchaar (2003, p.4) state

“Parental involvement takes many forms including good parenting in the home, including the provision of a secure and stable environment, intellectual stimulation, parent- child discussion, good models of constructive social and educational values and high aspirations relating to personal fulfilment and good citizenship; contact with schools to share information; participation in school events; participation in the work of the school; and participation in school governance.”

Oh dear, working on this I have CLEARLY failed for never being a school governor!

So , I hazard a guess would most of the third world, or the former communist block. A very white, middle classes, westernised view.

A lot of b*****s, but I put it more eloquently on the day!


So I left, my whirling with a book list as long as your arm, journal references coming out my head and the task of writing my first 1,000 words by November 17th at a masters level.


Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment