It always signifies the end of the holidays when we start nagging the children to 'get back into a routine'.
Who are we kidding?
It is virtually impossible to do, other than the hard way!
In reality this is how it usually goes:
Day 1 go to bed very late, get up very early, yawn and grouch all day, go to bed very early.
It tends to work that way with the teenagers anyway. Suddenly their body clocks, used to getting up between 6-7 am for school dramatically change. The house is eerily silent until midday when they stumble out of bed. At the other end, my peaceful late nights are invaded by noise, out of tune singing, loud tv and people wanting to chat to me till silly o' clock. This routine has actually been clinically proven to suit the teenager best, however no one has yet informed the Department of Education so sadly they have to try to readjust. Having just had my 13 year old down here moaning she has been in bed tossing and turning for hours this is not an easy thing to do.
Gone are the days of sitting around, relaxing, watching Christmas TV and eating. Homework diaries have been located, and homework and course work have been somewhat grudgingly done. The twins have GSCE Artwork (the 15 year old ones, that is!!!) and the 18 year old has Philosophy and Ethics Modular exams. Thankfully my degree and interests are in Art and Theology so at least I can help and advise. Had they been revising Science or Languages they would have pulled the short straw asking me to advise as I spent most of those lessons outside the classroom rather than in them, but that's another story!
I am tidying, locating uniforms, checking no essentials need to be bought and trying to get my brain around the fact on Friday I have to go to work, after 9 blissful months at home,with all my lesson plans and admin done! Oh Lord! I can relate to my children's less than enthusiastic responses now.
9 months! well actually about 10.5 really.
I have never been away so long, and never had less motivation to go back.
Don't get me wrong, I love my job, I feel I am so fortunate to have a career I enjoy so much. I just love being at home too. There lies the dilemma.
If my memory serves me correctly there was once a business woman with 8 children who wrote a book about having it all, e.g., a career and a large family.
I am sorry but it's impossible.
There is always a compromise and always guilt.
This time I have chosen to stay at home mainly and make the sacrifices in other areas. These are my last (sob) babies, unless a miracle happens (pleaseeee) so I intend to enjoy their baby days as much as I can.
I need to work, we cannot support everyone on one wage so I will work around the babies. I am fortunate to be able to do this, through day work, evening lecturing and examining which is done online at home.
Large families need a routine. Two weeks without one has been in many ways wonderful, and in others frustrating. Without a routine it is hard to get everyone out the door, in our case it seems before lunchtime! Everyone doing 'their own thing' means rounding up the children can take F-O-R-E-V-E-R.
We once went on holiday with a single friend. Granted the children were all much younger but she could not comprehend how it could take an hour from parking a car to leaving a car park! (Babies to change, buggies to construct, lunches, toilet, toys to find, arguments, lost cameras etc).
The children know where they are with a routine, we have daily job lists and lists for all their activities. It is fairly complex with so many but when we all get back into the pattern it goes smoothly like a well oiled bicycle. I thrive on routines, I do not get half as much achieved without them, so, I for one will be glad to get back into the swing of things tomorrow.
I understand completely how it takes an hour from getting out the car to leaving the carpark, and it's usually because I can't find the keys!!! I know I just had them because we just drove there, but I have no idea where I plonked them down while I changed and fed the baby, lol!
ReplyDeleteI can really relate to that one! I plonk them down because I am distracted by a child, then we spend ages retracing my steps to find them again!
ReplyDelete