Thursday, 26 January 2012

Liverpool

I had to drive all the way to Liverpool today.
That's about 1.5 hours from where we live.
It's where our son Joshua died.
So it always has bitter sweet memories.
I went to University there.
I trained as a teacher there as well. I loved the schools and the children and the accents.
Today, I had to go to the Apple Shop in a last ditch bid to get my defunct iphone mended free because the fault is Apple's and not mine. It was to be a fruitless mission. I am STILL phone-less.
Liverpool is referred to as the 'windy city'. Not without substance! When the wind blows off the Mersey and down the high street you know it!
I love the Liver building that dominates the peer area. My dad worked there before I was born. My mum worked in the city a a legal secretary. They went to The Cavern at lunchtimes and for a drink after work. They listened to unknown bands like The Beatles! They recalled happy stories of their four years there, long before I had visited.
We used to go to Liverpool to go shopping. They have a far bigger choice of clothing shops, than where we are.
Then I had my diagnosis with Joshua, and all our appointments were transferred to Liverpool Women's Hospital. We visited for a totally different reason. We also had to visit Alderhey Children's Hospital as well, where Joshua was transferred to .
Joshua's death certificate is registered in Liverpool.
It took me about 4 years to want to return there to shop, it seemed so utterly meaningless and held so many painful memories.
Now I am back again, visiting for the first time Liverpool One Shopping Centre. Wow! It's huge!
I made a late appointment so I could leave the twins. It did not seemed fair to cart them 1.5 hrs there, round a shopping centre and then 1.5 hrs home again. Hardly entertaining.
It's very weird to go anywhere without any of the children (I had plenty of offers though today! Pleeeeassseeee can I miss school? erm no!)
The drive was eerily quiet. I switched on Radio 4 for comfort.
Suddenly I was childless, buggy less and aware I didn't have to consider anyone else or their needs.
I stopped for a coffee (bad girl! ) and felt very lonely without a large clump of kids to chat too.
Good job I had no children. I was 3 hours in the apple shop with my phone and 9 year old laptop!
After about an hour I began to stress I would be home late. I had no way of contacting any of them.
By hour two I was twitching and thinking of all the what -can -go-wrong-will-go wrong scenarios.
Finally as I emerged I hurried around the other shops (sent by the children...you know the conversation if you have teenagers...'oh if your there can you pop into Hollister/Zara/Jack Jones/ Office to check the sales'?)
I arrived home at 8.30pm, quite expecting to see an ambulance as I was now in quite a state having completely missed the Wallasey Tunnel and ended up in the depths of Anfield! As I opened the door, it was tranquil and calm, everyone was getting on, and things were as they should be. No one seemed particularly fussed at how late I was either.
Why on earth did I not take a bit more time to enjoy the break?

No comments:

Post a Comment