Friday, 10 February 2012

The old work/life balance nutshell again.....

We were up most of the night with Caleb.
He vomited suddenly after his 3 am feed.
Everything.
Everywhere.
Then he continued to vomit every half an hour, all night. When nothing was left he just cried and gagged, it was really heartbreaking to hear and watch.
Even after so many babies, sick babies panic me. I was really worried and felt quite helpless.
It's always worse in the night as well isn't it?
Come daybreak I phoned NHS direct, they advised me to take him to the Dr of course.
It was also my teaching day.
I only have 12 weeks left, to make up a huge amount of missed ground with my students. I was beginning to panic. The last time he was ill Simon took the day off, so I knew I had to, I also knew they couldn't waste another day.
It was sooo hard.
In the end the Dr couldn't see us till 11am, so I took Caleb with me to work and Anya to the childminder.
It was certainly easy to only have one baby, albeit a very quiet little one.
Everyone had cuddles and loved him. I at least saw my students were getting on and to their joy (not) handed out all the work I wanted them to complete over the holiday. Then it was back down the A55 to the Dr. Thankfully he either has the winter vomiting bug or a 24/48/72 hr bug. He seemed okay in himself, so our childminder was happy to have him.
Then it was back up the motorway to work, again.
I felt a lot better after two hours solid teaching.
Back down the motorway to take Mair to swimming and then attend my bootcamp.
Few!
It is sometimes so hard to juggle the responsibilities.
Usually nothing matters more than the children. But I have been away for so long, I feel a huge responsibility to my students as well.
Sometimes you feel like nothing is ever right.
Sometimes the balance works.
Sometimes you just have to do your best and make the most of the situation you are faced with.
I think I managed that today.
Another long night......
Caleb started vomiting again shortly after tea.
I hope it's the 48 hour bug!

No comments:

Post a Comment