Thursday, 9 February 2012

When twins get exhausting.......

Suddenly it has all come back to me.
The same pain and exhaustion I felt 15 years ago, only worse;

  • I am now 15 years older
  • I am on my own all day with them with no help
  • We have a lot of stairs
Twins are relatively easy when they are small.
When they are well over 20 lbs each, wriggly and ten months old with a grit determination to crawl and stand and do their own thing it's another matter.
It wasn't me!
I went out today.
To have a coffee with a friend and then do some shopping I have been putting off.
This would usually take an hour, maybe two.
Three hours later I appear home again.
Groan.

Carting the babies up and down the stairs several times a day is hard.
Carting them in and out of car seats and a buggy singlehanded is much harder.
Mother care for all their experience does not make their feeding rooms big enough for twins, let alone a twin buggy. Bugaboo seriously need a re think on their rain cover that they clearly did not test on ten month crying twins in the wind and rain who enjoy nothing more than kicking it off as you are trying to fix it on!


I have a new comment to add to my growing amusing selection.
'Aren't you clever to have a girl and a boy'
Okay, rewind, like I had any say or determination in their sex?!!!
I had the usual 'aw one of each, an instant family'! Nope, actually they are numbers 10 &11. Silence!
And then the wonderful people who walk past ooh and aaah and say how lovely they are, how very lucky I am (Yes, I think so too) and how much they would have loved to have had twins.
Back home, lug them out of the car and into the house for an hour, before lugging them both back into the car to collect Mair and Ella from school.
Lugged back in the house and up the stairs for a short nap, only to be lugged down again an hour later.
Playtime before our bed.

Lord! it's a good job I am working on my arms weights and upper body strength I need it!
After struggling with several nappy changes as well as clothes changing I am exhausted it's fair to say.
I hate to wish their lives away but the thought of them being able to walk is marginally appealing at the moment...until I have to develop the skills of an olympic runner to catch them!


1 comment:

  1. Aw, but they are cuties:) I always *loved* (eye roll) the "I wanted twins" comment. To those people, I wanted to invite them to come stay with me for a week, full-time, and then have them let me know if they REALLY still wanted twins at the end of the week!?...lol...I know they're not "that bad", but they're still a whole lot more work than most people are aware of!! You're doing great Fiona, you're a good mom.

    ReplyDelete