Thursday, 17 May 2012

Returning to the rat race?

As the end of year is approaching and one of my main contracts ends after four great years I have to once again consider my career.
Fair to say it's been an unusal one, worked around the children and what is going on in our lives, as well as where we are curently living.
I have been very fortunate to have studied for subjects that are flexible and seem to always be in demand one way or another. I have also been careful to keep my qualifcations updated and do more, which has not always been that easy.
The twins have settled down well with their childminder and I have loved returning to my job as well.
It is a hard dilema.
If I work from home, as I have done, then I save on childcare and theorectically am with the babies. In practice, I have realised working from home is very hard. Often you are drawn away from what you are trying to do, and worse still the babies are ignored whilst you work. At least when they are at the childminder she gives them 110% attention.
You can never win.
And you cannot have it all, no matter what that book says.
So we come down to the fine balance.
What is on the cards, what other offers there are, how much the family needs me, and how much we need fincially.
I have to leave my job in Rhyl, as the school has decided to teach my course at school instead of sending the girls to college. I am very sad, but can understand the cost cutting behind the decisions. I have loved my job there and will miss the lovely drive to and from work.
Another job has recently opened up, teaching the same age but in a different setting which I am considering. There may also be some evening teaching available, which again is good in the sense we can juggle the children between us. Simon already teaches one evening a week.
In an ideal world, I should stay at home with the babies, but we need me to work, and if truth be told, I need to get out and work too. I think I am a better person for doing this. I am good at my job and I enjoy it. For this I am truely grateful.


1 comment:

  1. Good luck deciding, and with the job offers - I hope that you get lots of them:)

    ReplyDelete